This project is read-only.

add ability to create groups and other suggestions

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Hi,

recently I learned of  SMM through the gsc-forums and I appreciate your work alot.

I started to install a few mods and noticed that you could improve the overview greatly if you add the ability to organize your mods in groups.

I can think of several groups on top of my head, you could sort them by author, function, or different builds (i.e. several different mods used for different save files for example. ).

additionally I'd suggest to be able to switch to a "details"-view. similar to windows explorer's analog, complete with columns (sort by: date, name, etc) and icons inthe same height as the text.

Furthermore, for mods that don't follow your suggested readme-naming scheme, you could present the user a dialouge upon installing the mod, prompting him to manually tell SMM which .txt-file the correct readme is.

the ability to install from a compressed archive is pretty useful, and for your information, SMM runs fine on windows 7 beta build 7000

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:18 AM
Hi, there are some good ideas there.

• The concept of groups would fit very well with my plans for SMM. In future, I hope to make it possible to rate mods and view mod ratings online. It would be natural to also let users tag mods with categories. I could build this feature up gradually, allowing modders to define tags for their mods as early as next version.
  • An explorer-like Details view is already available. Is there anything missing from it?
  • Regarding readme files: SMM tries to guess any information that is not spelled out for it — readme, preview picture, the name of the mod. If I allow editing one piece, then I have to allow editing all the others. At the same time, one can somewhat easily unpack a mod and fix such problems before installing it. In summary: your vote counts, but this feature would be difficult to implement and is not very urgent, so I should add features that are simpler to implement and are more urgent first.
  • Good to know that SMM works on all versions of Windows from 2000 on. :)
Jan 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Yeah, I noticed the details view, I wanted to point out that the icons remain the same big size, and I think smaller icons would be more practical for this view.

However, now that I think about it, this might be a compability problem. either windows 7 or my graphics card driver.

as for modders' tags that you mentioned, this sounds very useful. And regarding the readme-file, Isee your point. I guess these are details that will show their usefulness once SMM (hopefully) gains some momentum in the modding community.

EDIT: I tested SMM on XP and the icons remain big in details view. so, yeah, that's what I was referring to.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM
I am not sure where practicality comes in here. Why would anyone need to see twice as many mods as now? Big icons at least look neat and help to identify mods. :)
Mar 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Version 1.7 just added support for category tags. I plan to make it possible to group mods by these tags in the next version. Also, I decided that I should resize icons in Detailed view to a smaller size, after all.